Creosote ignites chimney fire; home spared
ROCK FALLS – It took firefighters about 3 hours Thursday to douse a chimney fire caused when "an excessive buildup" of creosote ignited.
Firefighters were called to the home at 3609 Harbor Drive about 8 a.m. after a neighbor reported seeing heavy smoke and flames, Fire Capt. Bill Milby said.
They disassembled the chimney to put out the fire; it did not spread to the rest of the house, Milby said.
The homeowners had a fire in the wood burner that ignited an "excessive creosote buildup" – wood particles and condensed flue gases that deposit inside the shaft.
It's a good idea to scrape out that buildup every 3 or 4 years, Milby said.